What is functional medicine?
Here lies the clear distinction and definition of Functional Medicine. Instead of asking, “What drug matches up with this disease?” Functional Medicine asks the vital questions that very few conventional doctors ask: “Why do you have this problem in the first place?” and “Why has function been lost?” and “What can we do to restore function?” In other words, Functional Medicine looks to find the root cause or mechanism involved with any loss of function or disease, which ultimately reveals why a set of symptoms is there in the first place, or why the patient has a particular disease label.
5 basic principles that define Functional Medicine
1) Functional Medicine views us all as being different; genetically and biochemically unique. It is a personalized health care system that treats the individual, not the disease. It supports the normal healing mechanisms of the body, naturally, rather than attacking disease directly with a drug or surgery.
2) Functional Medicine is deeply science based and utilizes many forms of diagnostic testing such as, blood, saliva and urine for diagnostic purposes. The latest research shows us that what happens within us is connected in a complicated network or web of relationships. Understanding those relationships allows us to see deep into the functioning of the body.
3) Your body is intelligent and has the capacity for self-regulation, which expresses itself through a dynamic balance of all your body systems.
4) Your body has the ability to heal and prevent nearly all the diseases both chronic and acute.
5) Health is not just the absence of disease, but a state of immense vitality.
SCHEDULE A PHONE CONSULT
Dr. Mancuso is committed to proactively prevent disease and maintain wellness, vitality and quality of life. She partners with her patients and bases her medical decisions upon the most appropriate treatment, supported by the most up-to-date medical research in functional medicine through testing and a comprehensive history. She is honest and forthright with her patients so each individual can decide what the best treatment option is for them.